Approximately 50,000 young children are brought to the emergency room each year because they got into medicines that were left within reach. Are all of your medicines stored safely?
Any medicine or vitamin can be dangerous if taken in the wrong way or by the wrong person, even medicine you buy without a prescription (known as over-the-counter medicines). Walk around your home and find the best place to store medicines up and away and out of sight of young children.
Never leave medicines out on a kitchen counter or at a sick child’s bedside, even if you have to give the medicine again in a few hours. Always put every medicine and vitamin away every time you use it, including those you use every day.
Always relock the safety cap on medicine bottles. If the medicine has a locking cap that turns, twist it until you hear the “click” or until you can’t twist anymore. Remember, even though many medicines and vitamins have safety caps, children may be able to open them, so store all medicines up and away and out of sight.
It’s important to teach your children what medicine is and why you or another caregiver must be the one to give it to them. Never tell your children medicine is candy, even if they don’t like to take their medicine.
Always remind guests to keep purses, bags, or coats that have medicines in them up and away and out of sight when they’re in your home.
You can share this important information with your friends and family by sharing our resources with them on Facebook and Twitter.
Save the Poison Help number (800-222-1222) in all of your phones, including cell phones, so you have it when you need it – and make sure it’s available for your child’s babysitter or caregiver. Call Poison Help right away if you think your child might have gotten into a medicine or vitamin, even if you are not completely sure.
Poison Prevention Information
The Up and Away and Out of Sight program has a number of FREE materials and resource links to help you learn more about keeping your children safe by storing medicines safely. Click on the resources below to download or order our materials.
Families take medicines and vitamins to feel well or stay well. Any medicine or vitamin can be dangerous if taken in the wrong way or by the wrong person, even medicine you buy without a prescription (known as over-the-counter medicines). Up and Away and Out of Sight is an educational program to remind families about the importance of safe medicine storage. It is an initiative of PROTECT, in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Consumer Healthcare Products Association Educational Foundation and the below organizations.
Help keep children safe by sharing these tips with your friends and family!
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- American Association of Poison Control Centers
- Children’s Safety Network
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices
- National Consumers League
- National Council on Patient Information and Education
- National Safety Council
- Poison Prevention Week Council
- Safe Kids
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American College of Preventive Medicine
- Academic Pediatric Association
- Safe States Alliance